On the Journey
news reel: stories of People, places, and learning AT Aspen Country Day School
Castle Creek 2.0: the final major project of the campus redevelopment that began in 2007
When the Castle Creek building first opened in September of 1995, it was the new kid on the block. Today this beloved and well-used building -- which now houses our Fourth and Fifth Grades, main offices, and world language and music programs -- is ready for a major refresh. We're excited to announce that construction will soon begin on this last major phase of the campus redevelopment that began in 2007.
What's coming next fall
- top-to-bottom upgrades for all classroom spaces
- renovated bathrooms for students
- a net gain of one all-new classroom
- renovated main office with conference room
- Outdoor Education center with gear storage and workspaces
- sound improvements in lower level classrooms
- new lighting
- electronic security system on all external doors
- full mechanical upgrades
How it will happen
Construction will begin in mid-May and continue throughout the summer months; we are grateful to the Aspen Music Festival & School for agreeing to have this major construction during their busy summer season. Contractors will work all through June, July, and August to ensure that classrooms are ready for our use next September. To make this ambitious schedule work, Country Day classes will be relocated for the final two weeks of this academic year.
For the last two weeks of school
- Fourth & Fifth Grades will move to classrooms in the Middle School building and the Robins' Nest. With the Eighth Graders away on their final Outdoor Ed expedition, there is ample space in the Middle School at this time.
- Music & World Languages classes will take place in regular classrooms in Lower & Middle School.
- The main administration offices will relocate to the old mine foreman's house south of Reagan Field, and this historic building will be home to our leadership team until the project is done.
What you need to know
- Blue Green championship games will now be held on Friday, May 18 (instead of during the last week of school). With construction staging beginning May 19, this will ensure there's enough room for the games.
- If your child is not in Fourth or Fifth Grade, there's no impact for you.
- If your child is in Fourth or Fifth Grade, you'll be hearing about classroom locations soon.
- The classroom relocations are for just 7 days of school: Monday-Friday, May 21-25, plus Tuesday-Thursday, May 29-31.
When we return in the fall, we'll have a beautifully renovated Castle Creek building to celebrate!