On the Journey
news reel: stories of People, places, and learning AT Aspen Country Day School
At Parent Coffee + Conversation events this fall, teachers and parents got together to share ideas on everyone's favorite topic: raising good children for lives of meaning and purpose. Below are some of the resources mentioned in the sessions. Enjoy them and stay tuned for a winter conversation series!
From the PreKindergarten coffee, about Gratitude
- The Invisible String
- Jack's Worry
- In My Heart
- Little Critter Being Grateful
- This is Water by David Foster Wallace
Ideas for talking about being grateful:
- Best and worst thing in your day and why
- Talking about gratefulness in the car "these people are keeping us safe"
- How does that make you feel?
- https://dabble.me/ - place to list things you're grateful for every day, online journal with reminders about what you wrote a year/two years etc ago
Starting point for conversation:
From the First & Second Grade coffee, about "helicopter" parenting
From the Third & Fourth Grade coffee, about character
From the Fifth Grade coffee, about grit
From the Sixth Grade coffee, about navigating adolescence
From the Seventh Grade coffee, about helping teens experience the positive side of stress