Second Grade Outdoor Education trip
Wednesday-Friday, April 11-13, 2018
The Second Grade heads West to a landscape that feels exotic and refreshing after a winter in Aspen: the red rock desert surrounding Moab, Utah, a.k.a. "Nature's Disneyland." As always, our Outdoor Ed expedition fosters development of the school's five core values: character, respect, responsibility, community, and perseverance. Students deepen their understanding of these values on the two Outdoor Education trips they take each year throughout their journey at ACDS.
The children will be camping, hiking, and bouldering in an environment that is new to most of them. We spend the first night at our campsite exploring the nearby area, with learning activities and games after dinner. Weather permitting, we sleep out under the stars! The second day is an all-day hike with a picnic lunch on the trail. On our last morning, we do a bit more exploring, break camp, and head home, stopping for lunch along the way. With stops in Carbondale and Basalt, we are back on campus for the end of the school day.
Outdoor Education program director Collette Newell leads this trip with the Second Grade team. Outdoor Education is an integral part of our curriculum, and all students are expected to participate. There is no provision for students to remain on campus while their class is away. The cost of this trip is included in the annual activities fee.
- leave campus: 8:15 am
- leave Basalt Town Park: 8:35 am
- leave Cowen Center in Carbondale: 8:50 am
- arrive Cowen Center in Carbondale: 2 pm
- arrive Basalt Town Park: 2:15 pm
- arrive campus: 2:50 pm
in a duffel (no rolling suitcases please)
- warm hat for evening
- rain gear (waterproof pants AND jacket with hood)
- warm jacket
- shirt for hiking (not cotton; tech or smartwool-type fabrics are best)
- fleece pants for around camp
- fleece jacket or pullover
- gloves or mittens
- socks (2 pair)
- 1 pair sneakers
- 1 pair Teva/Keen-type water sandals (no flip-flops)
- bathing suit & small towel
- sleeping bag with waterproof stuff sack (not a compression sack; a heavy-duty garbage bag is easier for the children to stuff)
- non-inflatable sleeping pad (best are the ridged foam kind that don't need to be inflated)
- toothbrush & travel-size toothpaste
- headlamp or small flashlight (NO other electronics, please)
in a small daypack
- 1 lunch
- 2 days of snacks
- 1-qt. wide-mouthed water bottle (Nalgene-style, full)
- hat with visor (very important for the sun)
- lip protection with SPF
*If your child is an especially picky eater or has dietary restrictions, please let Collette know so we can plan meals accordingly. NO CANDY on any trip, please!
Arrive appropriately dressed for hiking, with hiking shoes on and ready to go. Please label all items and pack the bag with your child so that he/she will be able to identify the equipment inside. If you have any questions, please contact program director Collette Newell at firstname.lastname@example.org
NO ELECTRONICS, please, except a headlamp: this means no cell phones, no iPods or iPads, games, etc. NO sunglasses or glasses with video capabilities, NO smart watches. Only regular or Rx sunglasses and regular watches. "Radio silence" and a chance to unplug are important aspects of the Outdoor Ed experience. Photos from the trips will be posted shortly after return for parents and children to share.